Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Ode to Jenny Lewis

I'd rather be lonely

"Come with me."

I'd rather be free

"Where?"

I'm as sure

"New York?"

as the moon

"To live where?"

rolls around

"You're mother's house?"

the sea
But I like watching you undress

"Stay here"

And I think we're at our best

"Annapolis?"

By the flicker

"D.C."

by the light

"No."

of the TV set

"Why not?"

Cause I can't remember why I hated you

"Because."

Can't remember why I still do

"I just can't."

But I'm as sure as the moon rolls around you

"Okay."

That I could be happy

"Okay?"

happy

"Okay."

Oh, so happy

"So, now what?"

happy, Oh, so happy

"So, now..."

so happy

"...now we say goodbye."

They warn you about killers and thieves in night
I worry about cancer and living right
But my mama never warned me about my own
Destructive appetite
Or the pitfalls of control
How it locks you in your grave
Looking for someone to be saved under my restraint
So I could be happy, happy
Oh so happy, happy
Oh so happy, happy
So happy, so happy

No comments: